It’s so easy to make this Instant Pot chocolate dump cake with cherry pie filling right in your pressure cooker. Follow along to make this effortlessly sinful dessert.
What’s a dump cake?
A dump cake is traditionally made in the crock pot or slow cooker, but this recipe calls for the cake to be cooked easily in your Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi, or pressure cooker.
How do I make a chocolate cherry dump cake in the Instant Pot?
First, fill your pressure cooker/Instant Pot container with a cup of water. This allows moisture to circulate within the pressure cooker.
Next, grab a small cake tin that will fit inside your pressure cooker, then coat it with butter.
Add one can of cherry pie feeling to the cake tin.
Top with 1/2 box of your favorite boxed chocolate cake mix, or however much your cake tin will hold (leaving at least 3/4 inch from the top.
Finally, top with 4 tablespoons of melted butter but do not mix. I know it’s tempting, but again, do not mix.
How long do I pressure cook a boxed cake?
For this recipe, first set the valve to closed position.
Next, allow your pressure cooker to come to pressure and cook for 27 minutes. Quick release pressure by setting valve to vent position.
What’s the best pan for an Instant Pot cake?
You’ll want to use a steel cake tin for best results. Do not use a cake tin with detachable springform, as it will allow water to leak into the dump cake during cooking (a soggy mess).
Can I use glass or Pyrex in the Instant Pot?
One rule to follow here- if it’s oven safe, it is typically safe for your Instant Pot too.
Be sure to check the bottom of glass containers (Pyrex-type) to check their safety and temperature threshold. If you’re still not sure, check the manufacturer’s instructions.
How long will chocolate cherry dump cake keep?
You can store this chocolate cherry dump cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 5 days.
Can I freeze chocolate cherry dump cake?
I do not recommend freezing after fully “baked” in the pressure cooker. This dump cake is best when consumed within the first few days.
How do I make chocolate cherry dump cake in the oven?
Simply follow the same instructions to make this in the oven, with one exception… add on extra cook time.
To make in the oven, you’ll pre-mix the cake batter (and other ingredients) as directed on the box and bake according to the boxed cake instructions.
Can I make this recipe with other pie fillings?
Absolutely, try these other dump cake combinations instead:
- Apple pie filling and cinnamon cake mix for a delicious cobbler-style recipe
- Pumpkin pie filling and cinnamon cake mix for a nice seasonal treat
- Peach pie filling and vanilla cake mix for an easy peach cobbler
- Cherry pie filling and brownie cake mix for a cherry brownie dump cake
- Blackberry pie filling and vanilla cake mix for a yummy cobbler-style cake recipe
Can I use brownie mix for this dump cake?
If you have brownie mix, you can use it for a nice gooey brownie dump cake.
Using cake mix? The best boxed cake flavors for cherry pie filling are chocolate or vanilla.
What type of chocolate mix goes best with cherry pie filling?
The answer depends on how much of a sweet tooth you have. If you prefer a more rich/robust flavor, look for dark chocolate cake mix.
Brownie lover? If you’re like me and love a nice gooey brownie mix, use brownies instead of cake mix.
What can I serve with this chocolate cherry dump cake?
This easy chocolate-cherry cake is best served with
- a scoop of vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- whipped topping
- cold glass of milk
- chopped candy bar or chocolate pieces
- Chocolate syrup
What can I add to my instant pot dump cake?
If you like nuts, add them right after you add the chocolate cake mix, but before you pour the butter on top.
And, if you’re adding nuts to this cake, I recommend walnuts roughly chopped- as they are not too tough for cakes.
You may also add chocolate chips if you’re not a nut lover.
Instant Pot Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Pressure cooker
- oven-safe glass container or pie tin
- 1 cup water for instant pot/pressure cooker container
- 14.5 oz cherry pie filling canned
- 2 cups chocolate cake mix
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream optional
- Fill Instant Pot container with 1 cup water (for evaporation)
- Add cherry pie filling to cake tin.
- Top with cake mix, then melted butter. Do not mix!
- Seal and place into pressure cooker/ IP water. Cook at pressure for 27 minutes.
- Quick release pressure by setting valve to vent position. Serve with ice cream (optional).