A Mexican-inspired tropical treat; enjoy a Mangonada smoothie right at home in your kitchen with a few easy ingredients.
What’s a mangonada?
A chamango mangonada (mango-nada) is a sweet/ spicy Mexican dish that became popular in the US after 2010.
It is traditionally served with fresh or frozen mangoes, chamoy, mango puree/sorbet, and chili lime seasonings. I even make mangonada popsicles with the purée!
The following essential ingredients are necessary to make a mangonada especially delicious.
- frozen mangoes / mango juice / or mango sorbet
- rim the glass with chili-lime seasoning, such as Tajin brand
To make a traditional mangonada, add mango sorbet + chamoy and fresh, ripe mango to your cup. Top with Tajin or chili-lime seasoning blend.
- add chamoy + tajin to glass (rim with lime juice first)
- Blend, mangoes, juice, ice in blender
- Add to glass and serve with a chili lime sugar straw
For my recipe, I give you three easy options, depending on what you have on hand at the moment.
- with mango sorbet (traditional mangonada)
- frozen mangoes
- or, with mango nectar/juice
what does a chamango taste like?
Heaven. Just kidding. But seriously, it’s amazing. Fresh, sweet ripe mango flavors combine with the spice of chili and lime to bring a fiesta to your taste buds.
To save some for later, you may re-freeze a mangonada for a day or two max. Freeze in an open container with room for ice to expand.
Simply set it back out on the counter and wait 15 minutes.
can I make this recipe with alcohol?
Add a shot of tequilla prior to blending.
what if I don’t have mangoes?
Pineapple, or other tropical sorbet, like guava will also work for this recipe.
where can I purchase chamoy?
Chamoy sauce can be purchase online at major retailers, like Amazon or at your local Mexican grocery store.
- Dip rim of glass in a saucer with chamoy sauce, then sprinkle with Tajín® (chili lime) seasoning. Set aside.
- Add other ingredients to blender and blend until smoothie-like texture. Add to glass and enjoy with a straw.
- See recipe notes for other variations
- add 1 scoop mango sorbet to cup
- add swirls of chamoy on top of that scoop + fresh mango slices
- add another scoop mango sorbet
- top with chamoy sauce, to taste and add Tajin seasoning
- serve with a chili-lime candy straw
Tips / other substitutions/ additions
- you may use frozen of fresh mangoes or a combination of the two, as in this recipe
- omit the chamoy and Tajín® if you do not enjoy spicy- sweet combos
- this recipe is also great with pineapple if you do not have mangoes on hand
- you may use mago juice or mango nectar