Soft, creamy, smooth cheesecake is baked between two layers of crescent roll dough forming a wonderful cheesecake “sandwich”. The top is sprinkled with a sweet, cinnamon sugar mixture that adds a slight crisp texture as well as wonderful flavor.
sopapilla cheesecake bars the easy way
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Crescent roll dough, cream cheese, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter are used to make this an easy cheesecake dessert. Easy and delicious desserts are always a crowd-pleaser!
- Cinnamon sugar-dusted fried dough is what sopapilla are all about. When honey is sprinkled over them, they become an unbelievably wonderful Mexican-inspired treat.
- Feeds a crowd- this is the perfect large dessert to serve at a Cinco de Mayo celebration or other potlucks.
what you’ll need
For these easy sopapilla bars, you’ll have 3 parts: crust, cheesecake and topping.
- Crust– you’ll need 2 crescent rolls for the crust
- Cheesecake– for the cheesecake layer, you’ll need cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, vanilla, lime juice, salt, eggs and cornstarch
- Topping– the topping consists of sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.
Follow these instructions for effortless sopapilla bars.
Before you begin, make sure to prep your baking dish with shortening and a light dusting of flour (or spray with a non-stick cooking spray).
Use these expert tips to help you make the best sopapilla cheesecake bars, every time.
- Be sure to beat the cream cheese and sugar well at the beginning to ensure the mixture is creamy. If, after making the rest of the batter, there are cream cheese lumps, simply press them against the side of the bowl with a wooden or rubber spatula to disperse them.
- Let the bars chill to allow the cheesecake to set up before serving.
- Sour cream – Plain or Greek yogurt may be used instead.
- Cornstarch – All purpose flour may be substituted in place of the cornstarch, simply increase the amount used to 1 ½ Tbs.
Sopapillas bars may be stored in an airtight container or baggie in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you have extras, I do not recommend freezing because the crescent roll dough will be wet when it comes out of the freezer.
what to serve with sopapilla bars
You can serve sopapilla with drizzle or fresh fruit.
These bars are delicious when covered with honey, chocolate or caramel drizzle.
Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
- 9×13 baking pan
- 2 8-oz. crescent roll packages
- 24 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with baking spray and set aside (you may also use shortening and flour to prep the pan).
- Start by making the cheesecake batter. Place the cream cheese and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat together on high speed for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl down. Add the sour cream, vanilla, lime juice and salt. Beat together for 1 minute or until well combined. Next, add the eggs and beat together for 20 seconds. Lastly, mix in the cornstarch until incorporated.
- To assemble the bars, start by unrolling one tube of crescent rolls. Press the dough out in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pinch the seams together. Spread the cheesecake batter on top of the crescent rolls and smooth out. Unroll the second tube of crescent roll dough. Lay the sheet of dough on top of the cheesecake batter. Pinch the seams together then gently stretch the dough to meet the edges of the pan.
- To make the topping, mix together the sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour the butter on top of the top layer of crescent dough and spread to the edges. Sprinkle the topping on in an even layer.
- Place the pan into the oven to bake for 45 minutes. Once baked, remove the pan from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cover and place the pan into the fridge to chill for 4 hours to set up. Once chilled, uncover, slice into squares and serve.
More Cheesecake Recipes…
Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Triple Berry Baked Cheesecake
No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
Leave a Reply