Can you air fry garlic bread?
Yes, and let me tell you- it’s the easiest recipe. Let’s face it- homemade garlic bread is so much better than the packaged, frozen garlic bread. I often make this garlic bread and breakfast bagel bites in my air fryer.
This is my family’s favorite side dish and I serve it with everything from spaghetti to salads.
Recommended ingredients for garlic bread
I recommend the following ingredients for air frying garlic bread:
- French baguette or rustic Italian bread
- 4 cloves freshly minced garlic (or 4 tbsp. canned)
- shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- olive oil or melted butter
- fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Steps for air fryer garlic bread
- slice baguette into 1/2 inch slices
- apply paste to both sides (+ optional cheese on one side)
- air fry
How long to air fry garlic bread
You do not need to pre-heat your air fryer for this recipe. Just add your bread and air fry at 350°F for about 5-7 minutes, although I recommend checking after 4-5 minutes.
The cheese tends to cook fairly fast in an air fryer, so it’s best to keep check every minute or two, especially after 5 minutes.
Best cheese for homemade garlic bread
For cheesy air fryer garlic bread, I used ½ cup mozzarella and ½ cup finely shaved fresh parmesan cheese blend.
You can find a pre-shredded Italian cheese blends in the dairy section of your local grocery store.
Can I freeze this garlic bread?
To freeze: use a sharp knife cut the French bread into 1-inch thick slices (about a dozen or so total). Spread about 1 tablespoon of garlic paste over the each.
Place the slices on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes to harden up. Transfer each slice of the garlic bread to a gallon-sized freezer bag once it has solidified.
How to air fry garlic bread from frozen
Cook frozen garlic bread beginning at 325°F for approximately 3 minutes, then 350°F for an additional 3 minutes.
How to prevent garlic bread from burning
Air fryer cook times vary, depending on manufacturer, size and type. To be on the safe side, I recommend checking on your bread at the 4-5 minute mark.
You may also wrap your bread with aluminum foil to prevent burning or flip halfway through, adding more garlic-butter or cheese to the other side.
Note: do not add cheese to both sides, only the top or after flipping halfway through.
How long will garlic bread keep?
Store in a refrigerated, air-tight container for up to 3 days after cooking. Alternatively, you may freeze for up to a month in a tightly sealed freezer bag.
Substitutions for parsley?
If you do not have fresh parsley on hand, I recommend Italian seasoning blend.
Serving suggestions for garlic bread:
Garlic bread pizzas– Add pepperoni slices, cheese, then air fry. Dip in pizza sauce.
Meatball sub– slice an oval into the top of your baguette, air fry, then top with your favorite meatballs.
Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Air fryer
- ½ cup olive oil or melted butter
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced or 4 tbsp pre-minced canned garlic
- 4 tbsp parsley chopped
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese optional
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese optional
- 2 tbsp Italian spices optional
- ½ French baguette or rustic Italian bread loaf
- Slice baguette into ½ inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix garlic, oil (or butter), and parsley. Spread onto bread using a kitchen brush.
- Optional: add cheeses and Italian herbs to a bowl and mix. Add to top garlic bread.
- Add bread slices to air fryer and cook at 350°F for 4-5 minutes, then an additional 2-3 minutes as necessary- be sure to check on bread after about 4 minutes, then every 2 minutes thereafter.
Cook from frozen
- Cook frozen garlic bread beginning at 325°F for approximately 3 minutes, then 350°F for an additional 3 minutes. Check frequently.