Delicious, filling, and hearty chicken soup loaded with velvety homemade dumplings and tender shredded chicken is the ultimate comfort food. Peas, carrots, celery and potatoes give this dish it’s full flavor; all in under 30 minutes of cook time!
This recipe for Instant Pot chicken and dumplings cooks entirely in one pot in the pressure cooker, from start to finish. Inspired by the traditional recipe for home-cooked chicken and dumplings, this meal just cannot be topped in terms of taste and convenience.
easy chicken and dumplings
My family loves this recipe for chicken and dumplings because it’s thick, filling and hearty.
Soft and supple, the dumplings resemble drop biscuits in shape and texture. The Instant Pot comfort soup helps to keep the dumplings wet as they continue to cook.
Most of these simple ingredients are likely already in your cupboard or fridge.
For chicken and dumplings in the instant pot, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- chicken– boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- veggies– peas, carrots, onion, celery and potatoes (optional)
- cornstarch– for thickening the broth at the end
- olive oil– for sautéing
- seasonings– Italian seasoning blend, garlic, salt, pepper
how to make chicken dumplings in the Instant Pot
Making chicken and dumplings in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker is easy and effortless. When it comes to the dumpling dough, you’ll be amazed at how quickly it comes together in one pot.
- simplify prep
- use rotisserie chicken and add it in after cooking dumplings and veggies
- thick, gooey dumplings
- make sure dumplings are submerged a bit prior to pressure cooking
- rest time
- flavors intensify after this soup rests and is re-heated; it’s even better the next day
- thickening the soup
- cornstarch is essential for a thick soup and should be added in at the end to help the broth thicken up
- use chicken or poultry
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs are just as yummy
- turkey breast is a great option too
- make it extra creamy
- add 1/4 cup milk, heavy cream or 4 ounces of cream cheese while still hot. Stir.
Store leftover chicken and dumplings in the fridge in a covered container for up to 3 days.
Freeze (without dumplings) in a zippered bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, reheat while adding in dumplings.
sides for chicken and dumplings
The best sides to serve with chicken and dumplings include:
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the cold butter and mix everything with the help of your hands or a pastry blender. Mix until the butter pieces are very small.
- Pour milk and mix until the dough comes together. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Set the instant pot on SAUTE function, let it heat up. Add olive oil (or butter + olive oil) once the butter melts add onion, carrots, and celery, cook until the veggies start to soften about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté it for a few seconds.
- Add chicken breasts, potatoes, mixed Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; give a mix. Next, add chicken broth. Mix and let it bubble for a few minutes.
- Take the dough out of the fridge. Scoop one tablespoon of dumpling dough and place it on top.
- Close the lid and seal pressure valve. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Carefully take the chicken and dumplings out with the help of tongs and shred. Set aside.
- Set the instant pot on sauté function.
- Add frozen peas and stir to combine. Next, add the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot.
- Make a slurry by mixing 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Once the liquid starts to bubble add the cornstarch slurry and simmer until the broth has thickened.
- Cancel and return the dumplings to the pot just before serving.
- store the chicken and dumplings in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator, and around 2 months in the freezer. (Store dumplings and the soup separately).
- You can use chicken thighs instead of breasts if you want. The pressure cooking time and method should remain the same.
- Optionally you can add 1-2 potatoes (peeled and chopped into bite-sized cubes) to make this recipe more filling. Use russet potatoes if you’re planning on adding potatoes because they’re starchier and therefore they will help make the soup more thick and creamy.
more comfort foods to love…
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Homestyle Chicken Salad
Creamy Chicken Spaghetti