Make this easy recipe for Korean Sloppy Joes in no time. The rich and tangy sauce blends Asian flare with a delicious ground beef mixture of Sriracha, brown sugar, garlic and sesame oil. Serve these easy sandwiches on a Brioche Bun or Hawaiian rolls for a new twist on an old favorite.
Asian sloppy joes are easy and flavorful
My family gobbles this one-pot recipe because it’s a more complex and flavorful take on traditional Sloppy Joes and inspired by a Korean beef bowl and easy ground beef recipes.
This recipe is a variant on the Korean cuisine bulgogi and traditional sloppy Joes, making this dish both affordable and easy.
We make this recipe year-round when we’re looking to mix it up, as it is one of our favorite comfort foods made in less 30 minutes. I often serve this dish with my Macaroni and Cheese, soup or a side salad.
- Ground beef – 85/15 is best and less greasy
- Sesame oil– made from sesame seeds and perfect for Asian flare
- Onion – white or yellow onions are best
- Minced garlic– garlic powder will also work
- Ginger root– fresh ginger is best
- Ketchup– any brand works
- Hoisin– hoisin sauce is similar to bbq, but less sweet and saltier
- Soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce– any brand
- Light brown sugar-adds a sweetness you can’t resist
- Sriracha– adds a bit of spice
- Green onions– optional, garnish
- Brioche buns– this is a must: soft, sweet, and fluffy
- Korean quick pickles, optional
Equipment needed: pan for sautéing
- In a large sauté pan, cook the hamburger until it is no longer pink.
- Push the beef to the outside borders of the pan and pour the sesame oil into the pan to coat it.
- After that, simmer for 4 minutes while adding the onions and garlic.
- Except for the sliced green onions, combine all of the remaining ingredients and add to the pan.
- Continue to cook for another 10 minutes before serving on the hamburger (Brioche) buns with pickles and green onions.
How do I make this recipe in advance?
Follow these steps to save time
- combine all ingredients except for the beef, buns, and green onions.
- Add the sauce mixture to a large canning jar and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook the beef.
Follow these tips for the best Korean sloppy joes
- You can simmer the Sloppy Joes for up to 20 minutes for extra flavor. I especially love leftovers because the beef has had time to collect the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Make a Korean quick pickle (takes less than 10 minutes) to serve on the sloppy Joes, or use your favorite pickles.
- Make it vegan by using a combo of black beans and mushrooms instead of beef.
- Hamburger beef may be substituted for ground pork, chicken or turkey.
- Add-ons: Top off your Korean Manwhich with bean sprouts or coleslaw.
- Make it low-carb by ditching the bun for lettuce boats or stuffing mushrooms.
- No buns? Add the beef mixture to a rice bowl with avocado.
How to store leftover sloppy joes
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can I freeze sloppy Joe leftovers for later?
Yes, in fact, leftovers make great meal-prep for later. The cooked meat and sauce sloppy Joe mixture can be frozen in a zippered air-tight bag for up to 3 months.
Simply thaw overnight in the fridge and re-heat on the stovetop or microwave in a bowl to re-heat.
best sides for sloppy joes
- french fries
- mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower
- potato salad
- cucumber kimchi salad
- tater tots
- roasted potatoes
Korean Sloppy Joes
- 1½ lb lean ground beef
- 2 tsp sesame oil do not substitute
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tbsp Sriracha *off brand is ok
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 4 brioche buns *or 8 Hawaiian rolls
- ½ cup pickles Korean quick-style, *optional
- Cook the hamburger in a large pan until no longer pink.
- Push the beef to the edges and pour the sesame oil in the pan. Then add the onions and garlic and cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, then serve on buns with pickles and green onions.
BEST SIDES FOR THIS DISH…
Air Fryer Potatoes
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Leave a Reply