These delicious snowman holiday dessert cookies are the perfect wintery treat to wow! Simple, homemade ingredients, including marshmallows and colorful m&ms make for a merry season.
I always make these delicious melted snowman cookies and Christmas light cookies for my family right around the holidays.
For the cookies
- egg yolk
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- white chocolate melts
- orange food coloring (for snowman’s nose)
- M&M’s (for decoration)
- chocolate (for decoration)
For the royal icing
Royal icing is easy to make with only a few simple ingredients needed.
- egg white
- tbsp lemon juice
- powdered sugar
Directions for the sugar cookies
- Pre-heat your oven.
- Beat the sugar and butter in mixer. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Continue to mix.
- Add dry ingredients and continue to mix.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to 2 cm thick.
- Cut circles.
- Cook for 10 minutes in the oven.
- Prep the royal icing and decorate the cookies!
Directions for royal frosting
- Mix the egg white and the powdered sugar first.
- Next, add the lemon juice for your desired consistency (It shouldn’t be too thick).
- Take out the cookies from the oven and rest for 10 minutes.
- After it has cooled, frost each cookie with the royal icing and decorate with .marshmallow, m&ms and chocolate.
For the snowman’s nose
To make the orange carrot “nose”, melt 1/2 cup white chocolate candy melts in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds and add a drop of food coloring. Stir and use a toothpick or small paintbrush to apply.
Tips for the perfect cookies
- Allow cookies time to rest before adding chocolate frosting for the snowman’s arms, eyes, nose and mouth.
- Place m&m’s directly on top of the royal frosting before it hardens. This is better to give the appearance of melted snow on each cookie.
- Use a toothpick or small paintbrush to apply the snowman’s chocolate decoration.
How do I store the cookies?
Cookies may be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Can I freeze these cookies?
Freeze individual frosted cookies (without marshmallows or m&m’s), then transfer to a zippered freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and decorate prior to serving.
No m&m’s? Try Sixlets instead.
Short on time? Buy pre-made frosting or pre-made sugar cookies. I also love making these with pre-made ginger cookies too!
Melted Snowman Cookies
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 pkg m&m's
- 1 pkg marshmallows
- ½ cup chocolate for decoration
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup white chocolate melts for nose
- 1 drop orange food coloring for nose
- ¼ cup chocolate melts for arms and legs
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 C / 347 F
- Beat the sugar and butter in mixer.
- When they are combined well add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Continue to mix.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt into another bowl.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the mixture and continue to mix.
- When it becomes a dough take it out and put on a stretch film and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After, take out the dough and roll out to 2 cm thick. Cut circles into the rolled dough
- Take them into baking tray and cook for 10 minutes in the oven.
- Mix the egg white, and powdered sugar first.Then add the lemon juice for your desired consistency (It shouldn’t be too thick).
- Take out the cookies from the oven and rest for 10 minutes to cool down.After it cooled down, put the royal icing on top of each cookie and decorate with M&M’s and chocolate.
For Snowman Decoration
- melt 1/4¼ cup white chocolate candy melts in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds and add a drop of food coloring. Stir and use a toothpick or small paintbrush to apply.