Make these delicious Christmas light cookies for the cutest holiday dessert treat. Made with simple, homemade ingredients for sugar cookies and m&m’s. Bet you can’t just have one!
For the cookies
- egg yolk
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- M&M’s (for decoration)
- chocolate (for decoration)
For the royal icing
Royal icing is easy to make with only a few simple ingredients needed.
- egg white
- tbsp lemon juice
- powdered sugar
Directions for sugar cookies
- Pre-heat your oven.
- Beat the sugar and butter in mixer. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Continue to mix.
- Add dry ingredients and continue to mix.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to 2 cm thick.
- Cut circles.
- Cook for 10 minutes in the oven.
- Prep the royal icing and decorate the cookies!
Directions for icing
- Mix the egg white and the powdered sugar first.
- Next, add the lemon juice for your desired consistency (It shouldn’t be too thick).
- Take out the cookies from the oven and rest for 10 minutes.
- After it has cooled, frost each cookie with the royal icing and decorate with chocolate “strings” of light. Top with m&m’s.
Tips for the perfect cookies
Allow cookies time to rest before adding chocolate frosting.
Place m&m’s directly on top of the chocolate “strings.” You may need to hold them in place for just a bit until they are steady on their own (vertical).
How do I store the cookies?
Cookies may be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Can I freeze these cookies?
Freeze individual frosted cookies (without chocolate or m&m’s), then transfer to a zippered freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and decorate prior to serving.
No m&m’s? Try Sixlets instead.
Short on time? Buy pre-made frosting or pre-made sugar cookies.
Christmas Light Cookies
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 C / 347 F
- Beat the sugar and butter in mixer.
- When they are combined well add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Continue to mix.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt into another bowl.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the mixture and continue to mix.
- When it becomes a dough take it out and put on a stretch film and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After, take out the dough and roll out to 2 cm thick. Cut circles into the rolled dough
- Take them into baking tray and cook for 10 minutes in the oven.
- Mix the egg white, and powdered sugar first.Then add the lemon juice for your desired consistency (It shouldn’t be too thick).
- Take out the cookies from the oven and rest for 10 minutes to cool down.After it cooled down, put the royal icing on top of each cookie and decorate with M&M’s and chocolate.