If you’re not into baking an entire pumpkin pie, this air fryer dessert recipe is definitely for you!
When it comes to pumpkin recipes, I believe there are two camps: those who love it and those who despise it. Well, it’s also just as fantastic for breakfast. And, of course, it’s even better with a dollop of cold whip!
I don’t like wasting food, so I’m always looking for new ways to put leftover pumpkin puree to good use.
Ingredients for air fryer turnovers
- Puff pastry sheet
- pumpkin purée
- pumpkin pie spice
- confectioner’s sugar
- egg (for wash)
How to make turnovers in the air fryer
- thaw puff pastries for 10-15 min.
- cut into quarters
- fill each pastry with pumpkin purée mixture
- egg wash the sides and seal with a fork
- egg wash the top and cut 2-3 slits + add coarse sugar crystals (optional)
- air fry and enjoy
Homemade Icing (optional)
Combine the following ingredients for yummy icing, inspired by Betty Crocker.
- 1 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tsp milk
You may use any type of fruit pie filling for this recipe.
Top with coarse sugar crystals (before baking) or powdered confectioner’s sugar after cooling.
Make your own icing or use store-bought frosting (I recommend cream cheese).
Store leftover turnovers in a sealed, air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer at 325°F.
Can I freeze turnovers?
Place the turnovers on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze until solid.
Then, store for up to two months in a freezer bag or an airtight container.
Turnovers can be baked immediately after being taken out of the freezer. It will take a few more minutes for them to reheat, however.
I recommend reheating at a lower temperature for a longer time at first, as to not burn the crust.
Tips for the perfect air fryer turnovers
Remove puff pastry from the freezer when ready to make.
Thaw puff pastry until it is just moveable – be careful to not over-thaw, or the pastry will fall apart. Thawing should take about 10-15 minutes or so.
Only use a tablespoon of pie filling and do not over-fill.
Add icing after the turnovers have completely cooled.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Turnovers
- Air fryer
Icing Ingredients (optional)
- 1 cup 1 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp butter softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp milk
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F. Thaw puff pastries for 10-15 min.
- In a medium bowl, mix pumpkin purée, confectioner's sugar and pie spice.
- Cut pastries into quarters and fill each pastry with a tbsp of pumpkin mix filling.
- Egg wash the sides and seal with a fork.
- Use egg wash to brush the top of each turnover and cut 2-3 slits in the top.
- Top with coarse sugar (optional)
- air fry for 5 minutes. Reduce heat if browning too fast and cook another 5 minutes. Check every 2-3 minutes.
Icing Instructions (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk. Use a spoon to make strips of icing on top of turnovers.
- Remove puff pastry from the freezer when ready to make.
- Thaw puff pastry until it is just moveable – be careful to not over-thaw, or the pastry will fall apart. Thawing should take about 10-15 minutes or so.
- Only use a tablespoon of pumpkin purée filling as to not overfill each pie.
- Add icing only after the turnovers have completely cooled.