Taco seasoned ground beef between cheesy layers of lasagna, tomatoes, black beans and corn topped with black olives, jalapeño and sour cream.
My family absolutely loves Mexican cuisine and comfort foods, especially large, oven-baked dishes, like Doritos Casserole or Mexican Corn Casserole. With this simple recipe, you get both and it feeds us all week long.
what you’ll need
For this Mexican Lasagna Recipe, I recommend the following ingredients to get started:
- ground beef– 90% lean or more is recommended (less fat and moisture in the pan)
- taco seasoning– use your favorite brand or make your own taco seasoning blend
- cheddar cheese– shredded, Mexican blend
- yellow corn– canned, drained
- black beans– canned, drained
- diced tomatoes and chiles– drained
- garnishes– chopped cilantro, avocado, sour cream, jalapeño, olives (optional, to taste)
Follow these easy instructions to prep and bake Mexican lasagna.
Step 1: prep
To begin, cook your pasta (if required) according to package instructions.
Step 2: layer and bake
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in a covered container
- Freeze individual pieces wrapped in plastic wrap, then placed in zippered bags for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat in the microwave.
- shredded chicken may be used instead of hamburger
- pinto beans or refried beans can be substituted in place of black beans
- corn may be subbed for garbanzo beans or peppers
what to serve with Mexican lasagna
The best sides for Mexican Lasagna include:
Easy Mexican Lasagna
- baking dish 9×13
- 2 lb ground beef lean
- 2 pkg taco seasoning
- 3 cups cheddar cheese Mexican blend, shredded
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 15 oz black beans 1 can, drained
- 15 oz yellow corn 1 can, drained
- 4 cups diced tomatoes and green chiles 4 cans, drained
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeño
- fresh tomatoes
- 1 can black olives diced, drained
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- open and drain all canned vegetables, including corn, black beans, and tomatoes and chiles
- over medium heat, brown and sauté ground beef with onion. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to box directions.
- add corn and taco seasoning packets
- in a 9×13 baking dish, add half of ground beef mixture
- top with tomatoes and chiles, then 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- add lasagna noodles and repeat layering process
- top with cheese and bake, covered, at 390°F for 26 minutes.
- Finish last 5-10 minutes uncovered. Remove when cheese is fully melted and light golden brown.