This easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup is made in under 30 minutes right in the Instant Pot. No time to bake a whole pie? Not a problem with this creamy chicken soup filled with potatoes, carrots, and peas.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
- cooks in minutes in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- it’s a healthy soup with veggies, and low calorie too!
- full of rich, traditional flavors
- carrots and celery- chopped into small 1/2-inch pieces
- sweet onion- diced
- garlic- minced
- potatoes- cut into small cubes
- chicken breasts– boneless
- salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- chicken broth
- all-purpose flour
- frozen peas
Equipment needed: Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, potatoes, and chicken to Instant Pot / pressure cooker.
- Add pepper, salt, Italian seasoning and chicken broth.
- Close the lid and set pressure valve. Cook at high pressure according to recipe card instructions. Natural release for 5 minutes.
- Carefully take the chicken
- Use tongs to remove chicken. Shred.
- Melt butter in a pan, add all-purpose flour, and mix to form a paste. Remove from heat.
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE function.
- Add frozen peas, then milk. Stir.
- Add the shredded chicken. Stir.
- Once the liquid starts to bubble add the butter-flour paste to thicken the sauce. Stir and let simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot with biscuits or pie crust.
- The longer the soup sits, the thicker it will be. I like to make mine ahead of time and serve later.
- The flour paste is essential for a thicker soup; if you prefer a thin-style soup, skip that step.
- Allow soup to natural release to insure all ingredients are cooked to perfection.
Use poultry seasoning in place of Italian seasoning if you like.
Swap out the peas/carrots for other veggies like mushrooms or asparagus.
This amazing soup is thick and rich, yet it can be customized with pasta or rice as well. Simply add it in before pressure cooking.
How to store leftovers
Store the chicken pot pie in an airtight container for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
How to make it gluten-free
To make the recipe Gluten-Free, replace the butter-flour paste with arrowroot starch or cornstarch slurry. Mix 1 tsp starch with 1-2 tsp water to make the slurry.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP
Serve this soup with
- pie crust
- garlic bread
Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Instant Pot Recipe)
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 potatoes medium, chopped into small cubes
- 2 chicken breasts boneless
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, potatoes, and chicken in INSTANT POT.
- Next add black pepper powder, salt, and Italian seasoning followed by chicken broth.
- Close the lid and pressure valve. Select the PRESSURE COOK button on HIGH PRESSURE and cook for 8 minutes.
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Carefully take the chicken out with the help of tongs. Shred the chicken breast with the help of a fork.
- Meanwhile make the butter and flour paste. Melt butter in a pan, once melted add all-purpose flour, and mix to form a paste.
- Set the instant pot on the SAUTE function.
- Add frozen peas and then add the milk. Stir to combine.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the INSTANT POT. Stir to combine.
- Once the liquid starts to bubble add the butter-flour paste to thicken the sauce. Mix and let simmer until the sauce thickens.
- CANCEL the SAUTE button.
- Serve hot with biscuits or pie crust.
- You can store the chicken pot pie in an airtight container for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze for up to 3 months in an air-tight, zippered bag. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat on the stovetop.
More Instant Pot soup recipes…..
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup
Broccoli Cheddar Soup