Looking for a simple, yet fancy recipe? Try this scrumptious galette made with pantry staples before your next gathering.
What is a galette?
A galette is easier to make than traditional pie because it’s flat. Galettes have their origin in France and date back centuries.
Most are open pies/tarts with fruit filling (like apple), but others are savory, like this recipe.
Ingredients for a tomato galette
- all purpose flour
- cold butter
- mozzarella cheese
- cold water
- fresh basil
- egg (for wash)
What to serve with a galette
A hearty and rich galette, like this one, can be served with a side salad or as a stand-alone meal.
How to make a tomato mozzarella galette
- Mix the crust
- Roll and transfer to baking sheet
- Add toppings
- Freeze again, remove, and add egg wash
FAQ/Tips for making this recipe
How to keep crust from getting soggy: Before adding the filling, sprinkle the galette dough with semolina flour or breadcrumbs for added protection against a soggy crust.
How to make a galette ahead of time and reheat: The galette should be warm but not hot so that the pastry stays flaky. If you prepare the galette ahead of time, simply reheat it in a 375-degree oven for approximately 10 minutes before serving to warm it up slightly.
Freezing your galette ahead of time
Frozen, unbaked galettes can be stored for up to 3 months in an airtight container and baked straight from the freezer. Using parchment paper, line a baking sheet. Allow the dough to reheat slightly after removing it.
Simple Tomato Galette (with Mozzarella)
- Add flour, butter & salt in a large bowl, mix everything well.
- Add a little cold water to it and just make sure the mixture forms a dough shape. Don’t knead it, just combine everything and freeze it for 30 minutes.
- Cut mozzarella into thin slices.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a round shape about ⅛-inch (3 mm) thick. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
- Put the mozzarella slices on the sheet and then tomato slices. Sprinkle some salt on top and some basil leaves.
- Freeze it for another 20-25 minutes. Brush some egg wash on the sides and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Bake at 200 degrees c / 400 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil leaves. Slice and serve immediately with some parmesan on the side. Enjoy.