Looking for a simple, yet fancy recipe? Try this scrumptious apple galette made with pantry staples before your next holiday gathering.
What is a galette?
Ingredients for a apple galette crust
- all purpose flour
- cold butter
- cold water
- egg (for wash)
Ingredients for the galette’s apple cinnamon filling
- brown sugar
- lemon juice
What to serve with a galette
Serve as a stand-alone dessert or with a scoop of your favorite ice cream or tall glass of cold milk.
How to make an apple galette
- Mix the crust
- Roll and transfer to baking sheet
- heat butter/brown sugar, then pour onto apples
- Add thinly sliced apples to crust
- Freeze again, remove, and add egg wash
FAQ/Tips for making the galette
How to keep crust from getting soggy: Before adding the filling, sprinkle the galette dough with semolina flour or breadcrumbs for added protection against a soggy crust.
How to make a galette ahead of time and reheat: The galette should be warm but not hot so that the pastry stays flaky. If you prepare the galette ahead of time, simply reheat it in a 375-degree oven for approximately 10 minutes before serving to warm it up slightly.
Freezing your galette ahead of time
Frozen, unbaked galettes can be stored for up to 3 months in an airtight container and baked straight from the freezer.
Using parchment paper, line a baking sheet. Allow the dough to reheat slightly after removing it.
Simple Apple Galette
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 7 tbsp butter cold
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg for wash
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ tsp coarse sugar
- 2 medium apples sliced thin
- 3½ tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Add flour and cold butter in a large bowl and using your fingers press down the butter cubes in such a way that butter and flour are well combined.
- Add brown sugar and salt to the mixture & mix well. Add a little cold water to it and just make sure the mixture forms a dough shape. Don’t knead it, just combine everything and freeze it for 30 minutes.
- Cut apples into thin slices. Add sugar, salt & lemon juice to it and keep aside.
- In a small pan, add butter and brown sugar. Cook it until you see the color of butter has changed to brown. Keep the flame low.
- Once the butter cools down, add it to the apple slices and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a round shape about ⅛-inch (3 mm) thick. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
- Now arrange the apple slices on the prepared sheet (shown in the image).
- Freeze it for another 20-25 minutes. Take out the Galette, brush some egg wash on the side, and sprinkle coarse sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Use cold butter for the crust recipe.
- Freeze the Galette for 20-25 minutes before baking.
- Cook the butter on a very low flame, make sure it doesn’t get burnt.