These crisp and juicy Asian bang bang chicken bites are made right in the air fryer and drizzled with a homemade creamy sweet chili mayo. The perfect appetizer for parties or for entertaining at home.
The best part is this Chinese-style bang bang chicken is not fried.
With the air fryer, you can achieve the same taste and crunchy texture in 30 minutes! I am always using my air fryer or stovetop for quick teriyaki chicken dinners, Sweet Thai Chicken or sesame chicken. This recipe is also delicious with egg rolls.
There’s no deep frying involved, so that you can indulge in this recipe without guilt. Serve it with the Bang Bang Sauce as dip if you love it or coat it with the sauce and enjoy.
Recommended ingredients for the best air fryer bang bang chicken:
- chicken breast fillets- cut into bite-size pieces
- all-purpose flour
- cornstarch– helps get the chicken crisp
- eggs, beaten
- seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper
- panko bread crumbs– makes for a crispier chicken breading
- hot sauce– your preferred brand
bang bang sauce ingredients
- sweet chili sauce
- hot sauce- Sriracha is best
- honey– omit if you prefer a tangier bang bang sauce
- In a bowl mix buttermilk, cornstarch, all-purpose flour, salt, pepper, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and egg.
- Next, add in the chicken pieces and mix properly. Let it rest for 30 minutes in the marinade.
air frying instructions
- After marinating, coat with bread crumbs. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes on one side then turn and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the chicken pieces. Serve with bang bang sauce.
how to make the sauce
To make this easy bang bang sauce, simply whisk the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Avoid overcrowding. The heated air must flow around them (for proper convection).
- Please allow your chicken to dry! Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel as much as possible.
- Seasonings for dry rubbed chicken should be added after the chicken bits have cooked for a few minutes.
Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
Air frying from frozen may be convenient, but for best results with this recipe, I suggest using fresh chicken.
Frozen chicken contains a lot of liquid. Excess moisture will collect in the basket when they defrost, causing steam, making chicken boil.
how do I make this recipe without an air fryer?
If cooking your chicken in the oven, follow these simple directions:
- Prepare the bits and sauce as directed. Preheat oven to 425°F when ready to bake.
- Cook for 20 minutes on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- After 20 minutes, turn the chicken and cook for another 20 minutes, or until done. Toss in the sauce, broil for approximately 3 minutes.
Can you freeze chicken after air frying?
Yes, chicken may be frozen for 3 months. After cooking in the air fryer, place bits in a freezer bag and freeze, making sure there’s enough space so they do not get stuck together. The Thai chili sauce may also be frozen, lying flat, in zippered bags.
how to reheat bang bang chicken
Microwave bang bang chicken for 45-60 seconds until hot and steaming. Alternately, warm in the oven for 10 minutes at 350°F.
what to serve with bang bang chicken
There are lots of great sides for Bang Bang Chicken, including a side of sautéed veggies, fried rice, egg roll, ramen or wonton soup.
Air Fryer Bang Bang Chicken
- Air fryer
- 2 chicken breast fillets cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp oil for brushing
Bang Bang Sauce
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- In a bowl mix buttermilk, cornstarch, all-purpose flour, salt, pepper, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and egg. Next, add in the chicken pieces and mix properly. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Next take the chicken pieces out from marinate allowing excess to drip off. Then coat them properly with the bread crumbs.
- Arrange the coated chicken on a baking tray and keep it inside the refrigerator to chill for at least half an hour.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 180-degrees C / 350-degrees F. Brush the basket with little oil and put the coated chicken in it. Brush some oil on the top. Cook for 7-8 minutes on one side then turn and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the chicken pieces.
- Next mix all the ingredients under Bang Bang sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the air-fried chicken and toss properly or serve it as a dip.
- Serve hot garnished chopped cilantro or chopped green onion.
Leave a Reply