If you are looking for an easy Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice recipe, you are in luck! This Chinese Instant Pot Recipe is packed full of veggies, easy to make, offers the takeout flavors you love, and it’s made right at home.
instant pot chicken stir fry is the best
My family loves a great chicken fried rice recipe. However, we all have been to a point where we are so tired after a day of work, and there is no leftover meal in our refrigerator by the end of the day. At that point, making dinner is not a thing and cleaning pots and pans afterward is a hard “no.”
With Instant Pot chicken fried rice and veggies, you don’t have to work with many pots and pans to cook a dish. You just need one instant pot for a simple chicken dinner!
This is precisely why I love making this recipe for chicken vegetable fried rice in the Instant Pot. It is quick, easy, and above all, you’re saving time and money. How convenient is that?
For this one pot chicken recipe, I recommend an Instant Pot, but you can use any multi-cooker.
Is chicken fried rice healthy?
Yes, but it ultimately depends on how the dish is prepared. Takeout from your local Chinese restaurant can be loaded with calories and fat. This particular chicken fried rice recipe, however, is under 300 calories per serving.
This chicken stir fry is a nutritious meal made from protein, fresh vegetables, and rice. If you are on a low-calorie diet or want to add healthy dishes to your diet, I recommend this recipe for an easy meal prep!
Here are a few things you should remember when making this vegetable chicken rice stir fry:
- Fresh vegetables are best for this recipe.
- If you are using frozen vegetables, thaw and use a paper towel to absorb extra moisture.
- If you don’t want to cook the rice first, sauté the vegetables for a minute, and then add water and rice and cook rice at very high heat for 10 minutes. Add the egg later.
You don’t need the exact ingredients I have mentioned in this recipe. You can get creative or work with whatever you have available in your kitchen pantry. Here’s a few ways you can customize this dish or substitute ingredients.
- Rice: Although I have used sushi rice for this recipe, you can use whatever rice you have available. Most people prefer using long-grain basmati rice or jasmine rice for making fried rice. Moreover, you can also use brown rice for this recipe. This recipe is versatile, and you can use whatever you have in your kitchen pantry.
- Vegetables: there are so many amazing vegetables that work well in fried rice. If there isn’t anything, you can simply use frozen mixed vegetables, i.e., peas, corns, green beans, and carrots. Plus, you can also add mushroom, asparagus, cabbage, and broccoli and enjoy.
- Meat: Chicken works really well in fried rice; however, you can use other kinds of meat as well. If you have leftover steak or pork in your refrigerator, you can use it as well. Plus, you can also add shrimps or prawns instead of chicken and enjoy seafood fried rice.
- Tamari: I have used soy sauce in this recipe. But if you are looking for a gluten-free option, you can also use tamari. Its flavor profile resembles soy sauce a lot.
- Sauces: Most people like to spice their fried spice up by adding vinegar, hot sauce, sriracha, etc. if you love different sauces, feel free to add them to spice up your fried rice.
- Seasonings: You can add garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, etc., to the fried rice as well.
Instant pot chicken fried rice is super easy to store. Once the rice cools down completely, you can place them in an air-tight container and refrigerate. It will last for up to 3 days.
how to freeze chicken fried rice
Place it in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 to 3 months. Because of its long shelf life, chicken fried rice is a perfect dish you can make in advance and store for later use.
To reheat frozen rice, first, remove from the freezer for at least 2 to 4 hours or until thawed.
The best way to reheat refrigerated chicken vegetable fried rice is over the stovetop. As the rice sizzles away, they turn as good as new. You can also reheat the rice in the microwave.
what goes with chicken fried rice
Chicken fried rice is a versatile dish and can be served with a variety of sides, including these Asian favorites:
- egg rolls or spring rolls
- soy, duck or sweet chili sauce
- side salad
- wonton soup
- hot and sour soup
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- Wash the rice and add it to the instant pot together with the water. Close and secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed. Cook on high, pressure-cook for 11 minutes. When it's ready, release the vent immediately.
- Once all the steam has been released, open your IP and fluff the rice with a fork, remove and place in a separate bowl.
- Wash the Instant Pot to begin sautéing the rest of the ingredients.
- Set the IP to Sauté setting. Wait until it's hot and add the oil. Add in the onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until a bit brown.
- Add the carrots and the chicken, until the chicken is seared and the carrots have softened, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add in zucchini and cook for three minutes.
- Continue by adding the sesame oil and the eggs and mix until cooked and scrambled. Approximately 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add in the rice, the soy sauce and green onions, and mix until combined. Do not over mix the rice. Serve with optional sesame seeds.
- Rice: Although I have used sushi rice for this recipe, you can use whatever rice you have available. Long-grain basmati rice or jasmine rice are great for making fried rice.
- Vegetables: Instead of zucchini, try peas, corns, green beans, and carrots, mushroom, asparagus, cabbage, and broccoli.
- Meat: Chicken works really well in fried rice; however, you can use other kinds of meat as well. Steak, pork and shrimp work well too.