Made in no more than 30 minutes, Creamy Shrimp and Grits are quick and easy to make. You can enjoy rich, creamy, and cheesy grits paired with Cajun-spiced shrimps. If you are a seafood lover, this dish will become your favorite in no time.
Southern cooking is known for its flavor and heartwarming and comforting dishes. Shrimp and grits are no different! This simple and humble dish is not just tasteful but is the ultimate comfort food for breakfast or as the main course!
Make it for your friends and family and pair it with leafy greens and roasted vegetables to enjoy a delicious and comforting meal unlike any other.
the best quick creamy grits recipe
You will find several shrimp and grits recipes on the internet, but none will be as amazing as this one. If you are wondering why this recipe stands out, here are a few reasons:
- a grits recipe that’s super easy to make; you will need simple ingredients to cook the shrimps and grits to perfection. It is quick and fun. In just 30 minutes, you can enjoy a plate full of humble comfort food.
- This recipe offers very tasteful and delicious shrimps and grits. You can enjoy the savory flavor of the dish thanks to the garlicky goodness and Cajun seasoned shrimps. There is flavor in every bite.
- This recipe gives you ultra-buttery, cheesy and creamy grits. Most people don’t seem to get the right consistency of grits, but with this recipe, you will get creaminess and butteriness. It’s just perfect!
Simple ingredients for a quick and delicious shrimp and grits recipe.
This quick and creamy shrimp and grits recipe is made easily right on your stovetop.
Although all the ingredients used in this recipe are simple and easy to find. However, you can add or remove a few ingredients. Here are a few customization ideas that work well for shrimp and grits.
- You can make grits more flavorsome by adding chicken bouillon.
- If you don’t want to cook grits in milk, no problem. You can cook them in chicken or seafood stock and finish them off with heavy cream.
- You can use Gruyère cheese instead of cheddar cheese as well.
- You can add cooked bacon bits to the grits and shrimps as well.
- For a more wholesome texture and rich flavor, add mushrooms.
- Adding a dash of white cooking wine to the grits or shrimps elevates the flavor and takes it up a notch.
for extra creamy grits
The secret to making creamy grits is simple. You must add ingredients like full-fat milk, heavy cream, half-and-half, or buttermilk. Plus, adding butter and different cheeses to your grits also makes them creamy and rich.
Most people complain that their cooked grits have hardened soon. That is not a problem. You can reheat them by adding a dash of warm milk to loosen them up a little and retain the creamy texture.
what to serve with shrimp and grits?
Shrimp and grits is a delicious main dish you can enjoy with a number of side dishes to make it a wholesome meal. Here are a few dishes that pair really well with shrimps and grits:
- Cornbread: Cornbread is an amazing side dish and goes so well with several dishes, especially shrimps and grits. Whether you serve southern cornbread sticks or muffins with this dish, it is going to work really well.
- Savory biscuits: Savory biscuits like cheese biscuits or buttermilk biscuits particularly taste very well with shrimps and grits.
- Leafy greens: Leafy greens will complete your meal. Whether you serve the dish with sautéed spinach, kale, or green collard, it will pair really well.
- Roasted veggies: Roasted veggies go well with everything. They not just add color to your table but also fulfill a nutritional requirement. Serve shrimps and grits with roasted green beans, asparagus, carrots, potatoes, etc., and enjoy!
- Salad: Nothing can beat a fresh green salad. It is not just tasteful but is loaded with freshness and crunch. Thus a perfect side dish for your shrimps and grits.
Because shrimps and grits are super easy and quick to make, I recommend you enjoy them immediately and don’t make them in large batches. However. If you still have leftovers, no worries! You can store them easily. Place the grits and the cooked shrimps in separate air-tight containers once they reach room temperature. Refrigerate the containers, and the dish will last for up to 3 days.
reheating shrimp and grits
You can easily reheat the shrimps by warming them in the microwave to reheating them on a stovetop. As for the grits, if they tend to get hardened, add a splash of warm milk and reheat them on the stovetop so that they loosen up.
Most people think of freezing shrimps and grits. Although you can freeze cooked shrimps, I don’t recommend you freeze grits. Since they are easy to make, always make a fresh batch and enjoy.
Creamy Shrimp and Grits
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp lime juice
- green onion sliced, garnish, optional
- In a pan over medium heat add milk, water, and salt. Bring it to a boil. Whisk in grits, pepper, and garlic powder and continue whisking until the mixture begins to thicken. (There should not be any lumps)
- Cover and cook the grits for 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and cheese, cover, and set aside.
- In a pan melt butter and add garlic followed by shrimps in a single layer, cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Once the shrimps turn pink and curled slightly, add lime juice and Cajun seasoning, mix properly and take them out from the heat, do not overcook as that might dry out the shrimps and make them rubbery.
- Spoon grits in a plate or bowl then top with shrimps and garnish with chopped parsley or chopped scallions or both.
- It’s best to consume Shrimp and Grits immediately however; you can store leftover shrimp and grits separately in airtight containers for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, warm the shrimps gently in the microwave in 30-sec intervals; make sure not to overcook. Use the same method to reheat the grits, just stir in some warm milk to loosen them up while reheating.
- Freezing is not recommended.
- You can use fresh or frozen shrimps. If using frozen shrimp just make sure that they are not precooked.
- The grits tend to harden very quickly, so don’t panic if this happens when you’re about to serve, just add a small amount of warmed milk and mix until they loosen up.
best sides for shrimp and grits…
Air Fryer Diced Potatoes