Oven pot roast is a delicious dish served on special occasions like gatherings or holidays. It is a meaty, rich, and wholesome dish. The perfect pot roast has tender and juicy meat, perfectly cooked vegetables, and a rich, silky gravy.
This dish is not just tasteful, but the meat literally melts in your mouth.
Chuck beef roast is easy to cook in an oven, all in one pot. Serve it with your favorite side, and enjoy! Our family is loves hearty food (also try our shepherd’s pie), and this recipe is definitely full-flavor and comfort all the way.
What do I need to get started?
Here is everything you will need to make a delicious pot roast:
meat and veggies
- Chuck roast: Chuck roast is a part of a meat cut that comes from the shoulder or neck area. It is usually boneless and is also known as shoulder steak. This meat cut has a meaty and rich flavor and is very juicy. Although chuck roast works best for oven pot roast, you can use any other meat cuts like round lean cut or brisket as well.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in healthy fats and therefore is our choice for this recipe. You can use canola oil as well.
- Garlic: Adding minced garlic adds a rich, deep savory flavor to this dish.
- Onions: Onions also add a savory flavor to this dish. You can add either yellow or white onions to this dish.
- Potatoes: I have used baby potatoes for this recipe. You can, however, use large potatoes and cut them into quarters as well.
- Carrots: Carrots are rich in nutrients but also add color to the dish.
- Celery stalks: Celery stalk adds a tangy and salty flavor to the dish.
seasonings and flavor enhancers
- Red wine: Red wine adds beautiful bright color to the dish but also adds a rich fruity and tangy flavor which makes this dish more tasteful.
- Beef broth: Beef broth enhances the meaty flavor of this dish.
- Worcestershire sauce: This sauce is a perfect combination of sweet, tangy, and savory flavors. Its umami flavor makes the dish tasteful.
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour’s main use is to thicken up the gravy. You can also use corn starch for this purpose.
- Rosemary: Rosemary has a minty and peppery flavor. You can use either fresh or dried rosemary for this recipe.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme has an earthy and minty flavor. It also gives a good aroma to the dish.
- Bay leaf: Bay leaf is added to dishes because of its distinct aroma. You can skip adding it to the dish.
- Pepper: Black pepper adds a peppery flavor to the dish. You can add it as per your liking.
- Salt: Season this dish with salt according to your liking.
Follow these simple steps for the best oven pot roast recipe.
Get the best roast, every time by following these expert tips.
- slow is best: by cooking your roast slowly, you allow it to tenderize more
- the bay leaf, rosemary and thyme are wonderful flavor enhancers
- salt and pepper to your desired taste preferences
- small, unpeeled new potatoes work best for oven roasts
How to use leftover oven pot roast?
Here are some fun ways you can use leftover oven pot roast:
- Pasta: Turn the leftover pot roast into Beef Stroganoff by serving it with pasta.
- Sandwiches: Add BBQ sauce to the shredded meat and make delicious sandwiches.
- Burrito: Fill it in a burrito with a fresh garden salad.
- Stew: Make a delicious stew out of the leftover pot roast.
- Pot pie: Use the leftover meat and vegetables as a filling in a single-serving pot pie with delicious pastry.
Are there other ways to make roast?
Although most people prefer to make pot roast in an oven, there are other ways to make it as well. You can cook it in a slow cooker, over the grill, or even in the instant pot.
Why cooking a roast slowly is important?
Since the meat cut used in a pot roast is rich in fat and fiber, cooking it at high speed usually toughens it up.
As you opt for slow cooking, you are giving it time to slowly dissolve collagen into gelatin. Moreover, the enzymes break up the meat and the tough fiber tenders. As a result, the meat is juicy yet tender.
How to make a roast in the oven tender?
The easiest way to make the roast tender is by slow cooking it and allowing the meat to break apart slowly. Moreover, you can marinate it in advance for up to 12 hours, and it will also allow it to stay tender.
how to serve pot roast
Baked roast is a versatile dish and therefore goes well with several sides. You can serve it with roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, fresh salad, stuffed mushrooms, bean stew, dinner rolls, etc. Whatever side dish you choose, I am sure it will taste just perfect with your oven pot roast.
Dutch Oven Pot Roast
- dutch oven
- 4 lb chuck roast
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 onions quartered
- 1 lb potatoes small, baby potatoes
- 6 carrots cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 celery stalks cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup red wine optional
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs rosemary fresh
- 2 sprigs thyme fresh
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the oven to 275°.
- Heat the oil in a large oven safe pan. Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown on all sides.
- Remove the meat and deglaze the pan with the wine. Place the meat back into the pan and add the garlic, onions, potatoes, carrots, and celery to the pot.
- Combine the beef broth, worcestershire sauce, and flour. Pour over the meat. Add the rosemary, thyme and bay leaves.
- Place a lid or tinfoil over the pan. Bake for 3, then check the meat. If it pulls apart easily, it is ready. If it doesn’t pull apart, cover and place back into the oven for an additional hour.
- Reserve the broth and serve as gravy as is, or you can make a thicker gravy to serve over the meat and potatoes.
- Don’t get impatient. Roast will be dry and tough if it is cooked to quickly at a higher temperature. As it cooks slowly, it will bread down any grissel and fat and the meat will just fall apart.
- Have leftovers? Add some BBQ sauce and use it on sandwiches.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can freeze the roast for up to 3 months.
more soups and stews…
Instant Pot Pork Roast
Hamburger Veggie Soup