Tomato Cracker Salad is a must-have for Southerners like myself, and there’s no better summer recipe than this easy recipe made with ripe tomatoes, mayo, and saltine crackers. Serve at your next BBQ!
If you’ve never had a tomato cracker salad, you’re in for a treat. Now, if you’re not from the south this may seem crazy, but let me tell you, it’s delicious. Here in Appalachia, we serve this salad with everything from cornbread to soup beans or even as a standalone recipe!
For this simple southern cracker salad recipe, all you need are saltines, mayonnaise, ripe tomatoes and salt/pepper. Top it all off with optional green onions for garnish.
how to make tomato cracker salad
Follow these instructions for perfect cracker salad with tomatoes and mayo.
- Gently crush saltine crackers (any brand will do)
- Add in 4-5 ripe tomatoes and cold mayonnaise
- Fold ingredients together, taking care to not over-mix
- Serve immediately
- serve immediately, while the crackers are still crunchy
- use only ripe tomatoes
- cold Hellman’s mayonnaise is recommended
This dish is best consumed immediately and while the mayo is still cold.
Add in these ingredients for extra flavor:
- grilled corn
- bell pepper
- diced onion
what to serve with tomato cracker salad
Serve tomato mayo salad with chicken, pork chops, or burgers. It’s also great by itself!
Tomato Cracker Salad
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- 4 tomatoes large, ripe, diced
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise Hellman's or preferred brand
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped, optional, garnish
- ½ tsp salt and pepper or to taste
- Gently crush saltines while still in the sleeve.
- Add crackers to a bowl and cover with chopped tomatoes.
- Fold in mayonnaise and add salt and pepper. Garnish with green onion (optional).
- serve immediately
- you may mix and chill the mayo and tomatoes ahead of time before adding to your crushed crackers
- Hellman’s mayonnaise is recommended
Leave a Reply